PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate Cancer (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 14:07
Fortyodd2

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Prostate Cancer - Again

Hi all,

Didn’t particularly want to start a new thread on this but the previous one has been closed and it’s about time it was flagged up again. Talking to colleagues there is very little awareness of Prostate Cancer and, coupled with men’s general reluctance to discuss such subjects means that many are missed until it’s too late. Well, it’s out there and it got me.

My father, 67, was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in April 03. Put the frighteners on me as he’d not had much in the way of symptoms but had been for a PSA test recommended by his GP which came back with a score of 128!! I happened to see a magazine article at the Barbers a month later which made me decide to go and have a similar test. GP happy to oblige and the blood was duly taken. Quite a shock when the result came back “out of range” – The limit for someone my age, 43 at the time was 2.5 – my result was 2.6. I was assured that there was nothing to worry about yet but I should keep an eye on it. My AME agreed and for the next 4 years we watched as the scores slowly went up. This year it got to 3.2 and I was referred to a consultant. My options were to do nothing yet, (just keep having the tests) or have a Biopsy and find out one way or the other. No contest as far as I was concerned. As my PSA was still relatively low, a 10 point biopsy was required and 4 weeks later I had a result – 2 out of the 10 cores were positive. PSA 3.2, Gleason 3+3. An MRI and Bone scan confirmed that it was Prostate Cancer but that it had not spread anywhere else.
Having been diagnosed at an early age, 47, and an early stage of the disease meant I had the full range of treatments available together with the option of doing nothing – yet.

After talking it over with wife and consultant the do nothing approach was ditched and, of the various treatments on offer, High Intensity Focussed Ultrasound or HIFU was selected. Basically, this uses the same technology as used in the biopsy to map the prostate but the power is turned up to very high levels and the affected area is "zapped" to destroy the tumour. There are fewer side effects with this technique and those which do occur are more easily treated.

On the appointed day I was wheeled into theatre and came to some 4 ½ hours later. An overnight stay was required due to the length of time I’d been under the anaesthetic. That was last Saturday.

I’m now off work for the next 6 weeks at least whilst I recover. I feel very bruised and sore but I can walk and move around. I have a catheter sticking out of my lower abdomen to ensure I can still empty my bladder which is a very sore process but improving.

The good news – My employers, my AME and the CAA have been very supportive and kept me flying until the day before my op. My father, still with us, is now 71, has a PSA score in the teens and is enjoying life to the fullest extent possible.

Hopefully, the recent TV campaign in the UK by the late Bob Monkhouse will have moved the subject a bit higher in everyone’s conscience and more cases will be diagnosed at an earlier stage before it gets chance to spread. I’m due back in hospital for tests on Monday and if all is well then catheter will come out.
Will keep you informed.

In the meantime, if you think it can’t get you, if you think it can get you or you simply don’t know, here’s a good place to start. http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk

Happy to take pm's on this.

Last edited by Fortyodd2; 4th Sep 2007 at 17:01.