PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a safety issue that has not been addressed?
Old 4th Sep 2007, 10:10
Sober Lark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a safety issue that has not been addressed?

Travel with low-cost airlines who do not assign seats is a problem especially for those traveling with small children.

We had a recent experience of being separated from our three children (age 2, 6, 10) on a flight even though we had paid for priority boarding. I realize this has safety implications, hence my posting.

I’m not an expert but as a basic measure surely something along the following lines would be safer than doing nothing:

If a child cannot be seated with their parents / guardian and must seat beside a stranger then that stranger should be handed a safety leaflet so that he / she realizes that the child becomes their responsibility in the event of an emergency.

Or

During the safety briefing all passengers should be made aware of above.

If there are no procedures in place then during an emergency, parents will search for their children perhaps going against the flow of others trying to exit the aircraft.

Have the safety implications of scattering families with young children throughout the aircraft been thought through by the relevant authorities? I feel if it was then this sort of thing wouldn’t happen and can only surmise that in this fast moving aviation world they may be distracted or trying to play catch up?