PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 09:41
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will also be against removing all posts, because it would be depriving us of the opportunity to discuss with persons like Attlaw or Sdruvss, and of the information they give us : the attitude of the judiciary and perhaps of the public in Brazil.
It is for me interesting to see how prosecutors , judges and lawyers are making up their minds on sometimes rubbish information they received from local " experts" , Some are ready to start a trial ( like this judge in Mato Grosso last week , see below a newswire extract ) and this BEFORE the official technical investigation is even completed and published.

----------------------------------------------------------------
MATTO GROSSO STATE, Brazil - A Brazilian air traffic controller accused of making errors that led to that country's most deadly plane crash last fall refused to answer questions about the crash during his criminal trial Tuesday.

"I will use my right to stay quiet," he said repeatedly during more than 20 minutes of inquiry in front of federal Judge Murilo Mendes in Sinop court.

He is the only one of the four controllers on trial charged with intentionally exposing an aircraft to danger, which has a sentence of 34 years in prison.

The other three, were charged with unintentionally exposing an aircraft to danger, which carries a sentence of 1 to 3 years in prison. They are all officials with Brazilian Aeronautic, the military unit that runs the country's air traffic control system.

Testimony began around midafternoon yesterday and continued late last night
---------------------------------------------------------------