PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 07:44
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, TripleBravo,

Originally Posted by TripleBravo
Is 1.19 EPR indeed 75% thrust?
Yes (round about), the conversion table flew somewhere through the forum, I believe, and I saw it somewhere in the documentation, but forgot where precisely. The percentage is roughly referring to MCT, maximum continuous thrust. (Answer by heart, I stand corrected.)
So it is around 75% N1 (I have the graph printouts floating around on my desk somewhere), but I doubt that the relation between LP rotor rpm and actual force is linear. I suspect it to be polynomial of at least second order (most things fluid-dynamic are, and given that the relation between EPR and N1 is a fourth-order polynomial ...). I'm also sure it depends on airspeed, air pressure, air temperature, humidity, ...

So I don't think that 75% N1 is 75% of MCT thrust force (in its physical meaning, expressed in Newtons, or maybe pounds-force, if you're more at home with that).

I'm sure the experts will know, as it is crucial to know all the forces to determine if stopping would have been possible with ground spoilers, despite this thrust.

Bernd