PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 05:10
GMDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we can safely argue that the pilots left the TL in CLB detent, for yet unknown reason. This would cause an overrun in any aircraft, also in a mechanical Boeing. And if they did it intentionally (which most of us believe) there is also no moving TL of any help.

Back to the facts please...

Dani
- As far as I can remember mechanical Boeings had no such thing as a CLB detent.
- Furthermore: How on earth can you leave a moving TL on a digital Boeing in a non existent CLB detent?

I agree that you can leave thrust on in any design, mechanical or digital, moving or fixed. However the unintentional, computer commanded change of thrust is new only to the digital designs and can happen on AI, B and MD products. The difference here is, that only in the AI design this is not duplicated/feadback/visible/tactile, choose whatever you prefer, through the levers, but only on the middle screen in EPR/N1 values. Whereas on B and MD products you will have both.
There is my simple reflection: Beeing not the absolute perfect aviator, I definitely prefer having two reminders/back up's/warnings/etc., choose whatever you prefer, as to only one: A probabiltiy more of avoiding a incident, especially during these crucial moments like flare, liftoff etc.. If this would imply a huge cost, a almost impossible design reengineering, I might shut up. If it is only to avoid losing face or facing law suits (cost), tacitly knowing that it would only imply a small hardware change (you can leave the good logic and function), I will keep rubbing it under anyone's nose.
A Airbus would still be a Airbus, and a much more attractive one, if you would just leave it as it is, but add a moving throttle. It would help those like myself , who don't dislike the bird, only the dead TL, and it would in no way harm the more experts who also like the bird. It might even be construed in such a way that you can choose between fixed TL, moving TL and manual TL.