PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheaper Than Nightstops?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 03:10
B A Lert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheaper Than Nightstops?

From the ABC NEWS

Airline fined for breaching airport curfew

Gulf Air has been fined about $167,000 for breaching the evening curfew at Sydney airport.

Planes are not allowed to depart the airport after 11:00pm, under a rule that aims to keep noise levels down for nearby residents.

Gulf Air committed two breaches in 2005.

The second instance was after an application to waive the curfew was refused.

Central Local Court yesterday ordered the Middle East-based airline to pay around $167,000
The amount of these fines are miniscule if airlines are to be actively discouraged from recklessly infringing the curfew. We all know the real cost of a ten or twelve hour delay and in the case of a long-hauler like Gulf, it's a lot more than $83,500 a pop. The punters will say 'great' but the smarties at the airline will be congratulating themselves at making such a wise financial decision, and retain lots of SLF goodwill.

If the curfew is to be enforced, and if punitive measures are to be imposed for unauthorised infringement, then let the penalties be sufficiently punative for infringement - like at least half a million big ones per offence. Time for the pollies and bureaucrats to get real.

I think I'm dreaming.