PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Bad Is The Pilot Shortage In India?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 02:18
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

For the record I am an expat Capt (US) and we have expats here who have been here more than 2 years and are not looking to go anywhere. Spicejet folks are truly helpul and are doing whatever they can. Yes there are certainly negatives as well. Even the flattest pancake has two sides, my friend. Folks(me included) for the most part complain about the rostering but not the people. Management is very approachable. As far as the F/O's go, they have all been very professional and respectful. Granted, most have low experience but most would be just as lost with 200 hrs of Cessna time and in a jet. As a contractor, those are the cards dealt to you. It's not always a rosy picture but you don't have to accept the terms if you don't want to. The guys that don't last here are the guys who are not able to adjust to the environment (completely undertandable, as India is not for everyone), or those you come here to collect a paycheck, already pissed off that they had to come to the land of the brown skinners to work, and then start badmouthing the company, the culture,country, the people etc etc. If it's that bad then leave--just like a bad marriage! Why prolong the agony? I am sure any of you could not stand someone working in your country and then proceeding to malign the nation. No one says you have to love the place, just be diplomatic/discreet in how you voice your views. Most contracts offer a 30 day out clause, exercise it. You will be healthier and less stressed. I've been told that two expat Capts (US/UK) had their contracts ended for the very reason mentioned above. It goes to show that while they are short Capts, they are NOT going to put up with a bad attitude. By the way at Spice our Chief Pilot is an American, as is the Deputy Chief Pilot. CP is former CP/DO Southwest and DCP is retired Delta Airlines. B737NG guys who want to come to India, send your resume to [email protected]. We will leave the light on for you!
If you have never been to India, I suggest you come here for a few days to check things out (buddy pass etc). You might be able to make an informed decision. If India is not for you, then there is China, Korea, Africa, Arabia.
I humbly submit that I doubt that you will get better treatment in the above mentioned places.

Last edited by Nevrekar; 4th Sep 2007 at 02:52.