PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 23:17
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsieker wrote:
Is 1.19 EPR indeed 75% thrust?
Yes (round about), the conversion table flew somewhere through the forum, I believe, and I saw it somewhere in the documentation, but forgot where precisely. The percentage is roughly referring to MCT, maximum continuous thrust. (Answer by heart, I stand corrected.)

Rananim,
wouldn't this be such a tragic topic, .... Seriously. One party is bashing Airbus that its planes are second guessing the pilot's orders (FBW and it's protections) and the other party is speaking about a "serious design error" when the airplane indeed does exactly what the pilot ordered it to do.

By the way, no, they had not been using everything they had in an instance. You forgot about the manual brakes.

Psychology (and thus human factors) is a very subtle and delicate area that I am glad that there are people who not accuse first and then try to find arguments other than "obvious". (Jeez!)

I pity those lost souls (being the very reason why I write here), but it takes more than just to rumble around in order to never let it happen again. We owe it them to not jump to prejudices, but to explore the causal chain as deep as possible. Sometimes that's a very long way, nothing for the impatient - and that's exactly how aviation reached its today's extraordinary safety standards.

Rananim wrote:
This plane didnt crash because the pilot forgot to retard the TL.
Ah - if you didn't notice, engines are designed to push the bird in forward direction, even with just one operating. If you leave one of them at 75% - what do you think does this mean in terms of "causes"? Nothing? Well, ... (Jeeeez!)

---------------

bsieker wrote:
Really? I don't have the TAM FCOM, so I don't know. Do you?
I do, but that doesn't help much. It is basically the A320 standard FCOM. The callouts "spoilers", "reverse green" and "decel" are mentioned like in FCOMs of other airlines. But that doesn't neccessarily mean that training and day by day airline operations adhere 100% to what's in there. (And not proceeding every comma like printed does not mean to fly unsafe, so this information might not be very helpful.)

BTW, I stumbled upon a note about the "decel" callout, it could clarify what is originally meant by definition (by the books, regarding a discussion earlier): "DECEL Callout means that the deceleration is felt by the crew, and confirmed by the speed trend on the PFD. It can also be confirmed by the DECEL light. If no positive deceleration, call NO DECEL."