PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 21:53
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will never be an IR "Lite" as long as controlled airspace is the home of CAT. The airlines would ensure that any attempt to allow lesser qualified individuals to inhabit the rarefied air is quashed.

I have no doubt that EASA will attempt to get rid of the IMCR along with other national ratings. This was made clear to us last year and sparked a whole round of debate on here and flyer when I suggested it. However our CAA are committed to keeping the national ratings and will not go down easily so there is still hope.

What we have tried to do and are continuing to work on is a more accessible IR. One that has theory that is valid for flight under IFR in CAS without all of the extra stuff that is type rating specific. To this end a reduction on TK requirements, easier exam access, fewer exams and no compulsory ground school have been recommended. We have proposed a modular training programme for the IR with easier access to testing rather than CAA office hours only and use of the BIF 10hr module to count towards the IMCR and vice versa.

There are other proposals being made around the IMCR that we will be able to discuss in due course.

I do have great sympathy for those with hearing and colour problems, but they are truly in the minority and it is difficult to build changes around such minority needs. Harsh but true.

Whichever way we look at it there are going to be significant changes in the next few years, some good and some bad. Now is the time for us in GA to try and influence our own future.