PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Iraq Speculation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 20:42
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CS, I couldn't agree more. Pulling out of Basra Palace is understandable. But notice, the pull out was achieved at night, under curfew after doing a deal with Sadr and agreeing to hand back some of his murderers.

If we pull out of Basra Air, with the surge in full flow, I doubt the Americans will ever get involved in anything other than an International situation that directly affects them. We will be leaving them in the mire if we pull out by Christmas. Rightly or wrongly we are in it together. Gordon Brown will gain in the short term but we will all lose in the long term if we open up a rift with the US.

If anyone thinks we don't need the Americans, then think back to the Balkans, then think back to the Falklands War. No direct interest to them but they answered the call.

I am ashamed by what successive Govts have done to our Armed Forces. For some reason our Top Brass think Afg is more winnable. Well, Canada has served notice, so have the Dutch. We will probably be in a similar position in Afg in a couple of years time. Hanging in there in the South without achieving very much in the way of development.

As for those who have died, if we leave the Iraqis to it, it will all have been for nothing. We should not pull-out until they are ready.