PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing technique B737NG
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 19:36
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirRabbit

Thanks at last for answering my query, it took a while so maybe I didn't ask clearly enough.

I just said maintaining a 3 degree glide I did not define the attitude needed to maintain that glide. The point was to show you would need to raise the nose more than 3 degrees to maintain level if the speed decreased as it does in a flare. If you lower the nose three degrees from a level attitude you will follow a 3 degree slope provided you maintain your speed. If we make it specific to a 737 then the attitude will be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 at Vref +5, thats my guess as the QRH figures apply to Vref +10.

Look at the velocity vector when you are level, it will sit at 0 degrees irrespective of the actual nose attitude. Now, maintaining your speed, lower your attitude 3 degrees from that level attitude and you will see the velocity vector sit on 3 degrees nose down, you are now on a 3 degree glide, very usefull for non precision approach's. Raise the nose 3 degrees maintaining the speed and you'll be back at level. If the speed reduces, as it would in a flare, you will have to raise your nose more.

How much will ground effect alter that, to be honest I don't know and it will vary depending on a number of the factors you mention but then I guess you don't really know the answer to that either and lots of other factors will play their part, thermals, wind etc which is why you have to keep flying all the way down. Its also why your level attitude will be different each time and therefore not repeatable. My thought was to take the unquantifiable out of the equation with my example. My view would be that unless you flare early, too much, don't close your thrust levers or are hot the effect will be minimal at best and certainly not compensate for the speed lost in the flare. But as I say I don't really know how big an effect it has in terms of altering your attitude.

Certainly mentioning ground effect has helped me understand your point of view on this and perhaps why you feel you don't actually have to raise the nose as much as you otherwise would to achieve a straight and level attitude. So thanks for that. Did you mention it earlier or were you just assuming it as I can't recall reading it in your posts ?

Still don't like it though I'm afraid.

Take care, safe flying and happy landings.