PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 23:17
slackie

Location: Live in Taupiri, Waikato, work in the big smoke, New Zealand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense taken...we have to be so careful in this medium to ensure that what we type isn't taken in a different vein to that intended (hence my "preamble" above. Well...as a pilot that learnt at a controlled aerodrome (PM), I must admit to preferring full aerodrome control, with AFIS applicable at some of the busier aerodromes that don't warrant full ATC (as PP did when I was learning - showing my age here!!). I like to know what traffic is around me and prefer to get clearances into the CTA with AA CONTROL to do my training rather than risking it with all and sundry in the training areas. The aircraft I fly isn't particularly suited to maintaining a full AND EFFECTIVE lookout, and the training often takes much of my attention. By operating within controlled airspace I am relying on at least traffic information to alert me to other VFR aircraft in my vacinity, and separations with other IFR aircraft. Final responsibility for collision avoidance still rests with me (as the pilot), but at least I am in a better position to know when other aircraft are approaching. The danger that the UNICOM guys face is that if they "offer advice" outside of their "brief"/training/responsibility then they become part of the "ensuing court of enquiry" when the sh!t hits the fan.