PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 21:57
slackie

Location: Live in Taupiri, Waikato, work in the big smoke, New Zealand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC

Following a bit of "thread creep" on http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...=285543&page=5
I think this thread is long overdue.

Before I burst into print for real I'd just like to prefix by saying that this is not an "attack" on UNICOM services but more my view on what services are permitted to be offered by a UNICOM. Likewise I have no doubt that some UNICOM officers could be trained to offer an AFIS or ATC service (much like a Cessna 152 pilot can be trained to fly a twin and more), but if not then they must not step beyond their training.

The regulations specifying what can be offered by a UNICOM is contained in CAA Rule Part 139 - Aerodromes Operation and Use http://www.caa.govt.nz/rules/Rules_C...solidation.pdf
whereas the rule applying to Air Traffic Control and Aerodrome Flight Information licenses and ratings and the services that can be offered are contained in Part 65 Air Traffic Service Personnel Licenses and Ratings and Part 172 Air Traffic Service Organisations - Certification.

Interesting excerpts from Part 139 include...
(e)A person providing or operating a UNICOM service may—
(2)provide information on the preferred runway in use, as indicated by wind direction information from either a basic weather report or other appropriate meteorological information, and reports from pilots of aircraft using the aerodrome
(6)at the request of a pilot, provide information on the general location of any aircraft the UNICOM service operator has knowledge of

(f)A person providing or operating a UNICOM service must not—
(1) provide any air traffic services; or
(2) give or suggest traffic information; or
(3) initiate or derive traffic information.

My reading of these mean that UNICOM MAY NOT issue traffic information. UNICOM MAY pass on information given by pilots. UNICOM are not trainined or permitted to look out the window and "derive" traffic information - hence my statement in a previous thread that to avoid this temptation they should be in a room without windows!! Note there is no provision here for UNICOM to suggest manoeuvers (eg. SUGGEST YOU GO AROUND TO ALLOW DEPARTURES, SUGGEST YOU USE THE GRASS, etc.). UNICOM's function are to provide weather reports, RWY in use, limited flight following (like an airline or GA operator would), initiate emergency response, and PASS ON INFORMATION GIVEN BY PILOTS.

In contrast an AFIS (in addition to the UNICOM service) may
172.95(a)
(1)determine, from information received and visual observation, the relative positions of known aircraft to each other
(2)issue of advice and information, including the designation of a preferred runway, for the purpose of the safe and efficient operation of—
(i) aircraft flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome; and
(ii) aircraft operating on the manoeuvring area; and
(iii) aircraft landing and taking off; and
(iv) aircraft, vehicles, and persons, on the manoeuvring area; and
(v) aircraft on the manoeuvring area and obstructions on that area.

In brief then an AFIS can derive traffic information and pass that on.

Air Traffic Control - Aerodrome Controller in addition to the UNICOM and AFIS can issue instructions, clearances, and information to aircraft...and depending upon the Airspace Class has responsibilities to ensure separation between certain flights - check Rule Part 71 Designation and Classification of Airspace if you'd like to know exactly who gets separated from whom (it may surprise you!!).