PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements of the Heathrow CTR
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 20:43
High Wing Drifter

Fuji,

I thought I would refresh the discussion we had because I've made some changes recently.
There are many (including me) that believe the use of moving map GPS (with adequate training) would avoid a lot of CAS busts...Why on earth anyone would want to dismiss a genuine initiative to improve safety so that is not going to cost them a single penny defeats me.
Well, I've gone and done it now. Done bought me a 496. To be honest I'm totally bowled over by it's capabilities and I agree, GPS does make decent A to B trips so much more enjoyable, so one nil to you . I've also done a whole heap of hours recently in something with a 430 too, but the 496 is actually much better, IMHO, for most sorties.

Anyway, my point is that I appreciate how much the work load is reduced and on the face of it, it does seem incomprehensible how somebody can bust CAS with one of these units. However, from my new more GPS oriented PoV, I can still see how confusing one of these units can be if you haven't really thought about the flight properly before hand (planning being my original point). With or without GPS and with sufficient planning, it seems equally incomprehensible how somebody can bust CAS. Without sufficient planning and irrespective of GPS, it is inevitable sooner or later.