PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 14:19
121ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick, please pay close attention. What re-heat has said is a very valid point. Let me tell you a little about myself. In sep 2005 I started my AS levels, I had come to from a private school to a state college. The sense of freedom and the ability to bunk lessons was overwhelming. Little did I know it would lead to my failure that summer. Come results in Summer 2006 I got the following grades: PHYSICS, MATHS, PE: D, GEOGRAPHY: C. This was quite clearly ridiculous and so I considered my options (I was in the same position as you are know). I came to realisation that these rubbsih results were due to my stupidity and laziness. I knew I had always wanted to be a pilot so why so I guve up now? A levels were really the best way forward. I'm not sayin to anyone that they must do A levels. But those of you with common sense: when you go to do your ground training for your ATPL, who do you think is going to cope better: those who have B's and C's at GCSE or those with A levels.

I decided to switch colleges as a change of environment and friend was sure to bebeneficial. I started my first year at the new college in Sep 2006, I got my grades this summer: PHYSICS: B, MATHS: B, GEOGRAPHY: B. Just one more year before I go to uni.

For those of you wannabe pilots in the same situation as me i.e. Not sure what to do at uni consider the following courses
They are listed in my order of preference:

1.BSc (hons)Air Transport Operations: Year 1: UNI, Year 2: OXFORD AVIATION (ATPL), YEAR 3: UNI (PART TIME)............CITY UNI, LONDON

2.BA (Hons) Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training..........Buckinghamshire Chilterns University

3. BSc (hons)Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies......LEEDS UNI

There are at least another 5 more relevant to pilots. Let me know if you want to find out about them