PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 13:22
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob21
I am still following this thread because I'm waiting to see someone explain here why not allow the pilot to deploy ground spoilers manually, when he is applying more than 20º on the manual brakes and has at least one reverse engaged.
I consider it a key point, and try as I might, I cannot find a reason.

I think this may actually be a problem of incomplete requirements. The failure mode "leaving one thrust lever up during landing" has perhaps not been analysed exhaustively, taking provisions to keep the effects from becoming "catastrophic".

A320 pilots: can you give us an estimate what the maximum inadvertent brake pedal deflection might be, given a critial high-workload situation in which large rudder inputs are necessary, also given the worst possible conditions, slippery pedals, loose footwear, ...

5 degrees? 20 degrees? 45 degrees?

Originally Posted by Dream Land
on this particular runway braking after "spoilers nada" is also useless.
Not if braking deploys Ground Spoilers, even with one TL above "near idle".

Accurate calculations and simulations will tell if it would have been enough to save lives in this case, but it would have decreased significantly the overrun speed.

Since this would be an unambiguous "I want to stop" signal, it could also be used to reduce engine power to idle, possibly displaying an amber "IDLE LK" (or similar) warning on the ECAM. (Pending further research, this may turn out to be a bad idea.)

Bernd