PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Common things to fail medical with?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 11:48
alberto86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello guys,
back in November 2005 I did an initial 1st Class at the aviation house in Gatwick.
Unfortunately I received a restriction on it cause I failed the damn color vision exam. I went trough Ishihara plates and the Nagel Anomaloscope if I remember well.
Altough, i didn't give up on gaining the full certificate so I went on trying and trying all the official JAA recognised color vision assessments.
I tried the Spectrolux in Switzerland, and failed that to for 3 errors. The key for success was passing the Beyne's lantern test... I found the machinary at the Aeromedical centre in Rome...and passed the test!!
Last year I finally had my medical unrestricted and did the first renewal.
From what I know, and standing to what JAR FCL 3 says, one should never be tested again for color blindness after the initial examination.
Is that true? Is there any possibility I could be set as unfit to fly in the unlikely event of a casual examination?
I'll tell you another thing: during the renweal I did last year, the doc wanted me to look at the Ishihara plates. Of course I failed a couple, and he started asking me of any previous trouble with that. After all, i told him, and showed him, the certificate from the Beyne's lantern test and he had nothing to complain about. Renewal was so obtained. could the Beyne's lantern be enough in the future?
What do you know about this according to any previous experience?
Thank you a lot