PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should low hour pilots start on Turboprops?
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 10:19
Just another student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have loved to have been given the chance to fly a turbo-prop, would have been great experience, but it all came down to one thing..........

You canīt pick and choose your job when you come out of training! I couldnīt fund to train as an FI and then move out on a low salary etc and pay the loans (you know the story) so it was a type rating or risk sitting on my back side sending out more and more CVīs for goodness knows how long.

Looked at getting an ATR rating, 16 grand plus (GBP)... I was working in OPS at an ATR operator and would have bitten their hands off for an ATR job, but nothing doing. How many UK ATR operators? 16K? Made not one bit of sense.

737 NG+Classic rating..... 16K, now that makes more sense. Didnīt agree with self-funding etc but 3months later I had myself a 737 job.

I wasnīt a FATPL dreamer, I just wanted a job and I canīt exactly be blamed for doing what I did.

When it comes to hand flying, I can basically hand fly as much as my Captain allows and I am making sure that I take advantage of this. Busy airspace of course means autopilot, but we get the chance of quite a few visual approaches etc which keeps your eye in.

Low hour pilots shouldnīt just start on jets and they shouldnīt just start on turbo-props. Each individual is different and should take the first job offered, they are like gold