PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 10:03
Bahn-Jeaux
Intelligent Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caullystone
I am a 6hrs into my PPL training....

This thread makes me think I should just give up now and save the money?
I had the same worries as you when I was training and now as a freshly minted PPL, I wonder what my flying future is. My first flight post PPL was a club checkout, couple of circuits and if the weather doesnt lift, is that my future...constant currency checks?

Also the money side of things, I am not a wealthy man but could afford to get my licence in a reasonable time, 18 months (last 4 spent waiting for the right weather) but as others have said, things change, finances are not as fluid as they once were and I have recently started a small business alongside my full time job in an effort to improve both my lifestyle and flying future. This has the knock on effect of reducing time available to me.

The upshot of it all is this, Do I regret spending the money for my PPL?
Absolutely not, I loved every minute of it and even if I never flew again would not go back and change things. I have achieved a lifelong ambition and loved it more than I thought I would.

My present position is one where current desires are not met by available income so I do feel frustrated but I am not disheartened.

The recent checkride, although what many consider mundane, still gave me that buzz of sitting in the LHS and I will do whatever I can to make sure I keep on flying.

Ps, anyone wanna buy my granny?