PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Article Regarding the 'Pilot Shortage'...
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 05:32
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work offshore...the airline I currently work for has a cadet program and these younger pilots come into their first job with a frozen ATPL, plus all the PPL, CPL and instrument training and an endorsement on a fast modern (avionics and auto flight) type bizzjet. They go through a very serious training program that would make most guys from my neck of the woods question why they wanted to do this in the first place. They know the regs, the systems and the SOP's front to back. In a nutshell, it all comes down to one word...TRAINING. They gain experience (like we all did) by working hard and passing more than a few periodic checks designed to ensure they are staying diligent and paying attention. To say that the one night the old man slips off this mortal coil is the end of that flight isn't anywhere near the truth. These guys are well trained to make decisions and to use ALL the tools provided. ACARS, SATCOM and the like, which will ensure a "happy ending" for everyone. (He might need a bit of time off after but so would I!) These guys are more than likely gonna stay with their company for 35 to 40 years and will upgrade about 8 -10 years from start. That makes a long and prosperous career for these guys. You can't compare their career path to anyone else path with a GA background, there simply isn't any GA in many countries, and that changes the way these cadets look at work. They are not the poor guy in the right seat who suffers while he thinks you are blocking his path and knows more than you do...(aaah youth!) I would prefer working with these smart and sharp people, than with the bitter angry and sometimes indifferent people who have been tainted by a system in a country with no aviation policy. (except to turn a blind eye to the standards and policies that allow some operators to go cheap on training and wages to make a buck.) There will be different experiences at different employers (who hire expat pilots) and not all of you will agree with me, I am merely speaking from my own experience. (The couple of companies I worked for before this job would be a good example of how NOT to run anything associated with aviation, but that's a different thread! ) There, rant over, thanks...
LC