PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - shared ownership for hours building?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 22:34
biggles0449

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all, thanks for the positive responses so far.

in answer to some of the points raised, my thoughts were that setting up a new group, would just be beneficial to a group of like minded flyers. times of flight etc would work on a similar basis to other groups, however, the idea of co piloting is a good one, to further save on cost! joining an established group would also be an option that makes sense. just me being me, i tend to like my finger on the pulse!

my original thinking behind this,was that, after forking out x amount for relatively high rental costs over 2 years between 6 people, it would be entirely possible, that the savings made could equal the value of the aircraft. hence leaving the group with an asset that could be sold at the end of training if desired, to fund further, more advanced licences etc.

obviously, battling with the lovely conditions here in the uk has a positive and a negative side, positive being you are flying in far more challenging conditions and quite likely more chance of encountering advanced airspace than [dont get me wrong] an idyllic setting like greece or florida. i do see that the benefit of guaranteed airtime etc is a definite plus, but perhaps, more for people under tight time constraints? couple this with the savings made in airfare and foreign accom etc, which will all add up to a pretty penny at the end of a 2 month hours building tour.

weather is a massive issue in hours building and the early stages of flight, however, my timeline for training is at least 2 years, if not, slightly more. hence, my search to decrease cost at every reasonable avenue, whilst maintaining a solid, current, skills set.

i have put together a sample cost analysis, which im sure will be inaccurate, so correct at will! it is merely meant as a representation to check viability. i wrote it conservatively, but not taking into account a major failure in the aircraft. which i would expect to come in at app 15k for an engine or similar.

purchase cost 20-40k
parking 1200 pa
insurance 2000 pa
annual checks 2000
radio license 20
50 hr checks @ 500 each
maintenance costs 1500

fuel 30 ph
oil 2 ph

going on this, i would expect a standing cost pa to be approx 6500.

the group would contribute equally to buy in, with a 120 per month contribution to costs [this would cover all base costs up to ~6x 50 hr checks]. the aircraft would be charged to the group at 30 ph dry.

by my reckoning, this would give an average cost spread over a yr in which one member flew 200 hours:

membership 1440
hourly rent 6000
fuel/oil 6400

hourly rate per member: 69ph wet + landings

obviously, this is barring a major failure, but, the contingency fund would come from the hourly rate. which i would estimate in one yr to be [guesstimate!!] 36k [200hrs*30=6000*6 pax = 36k pa]

ideally this would be operating a complex single. im sure there are flaws in my idea, but i only started to research it today!!

all ideas, thoughts and views gratefully taken...its all theoretical at this stage!!

b

p.s. here is the link for egnatia's hour building package http://www.egnatia-aviation.com/hourbuild.htm [6700 gbp for 28 days shared accom and 100 hrs flight on diamond da40's] not bad!!

Last edited by biggles0449; 1st Sep 2007 at 22:42. Reason: to add weblink for egnatia hour building package