PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF seeks improved airdrop system
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 21:40
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding, is that you can have the flip over rollers if you have a standard 41FT length cargo compartment. I also believe this is an option at extra cost.

However the stretched C130J was originally not available with flip over rollers. The cost of developement from Lockkeed was high, and so the RAAF did not take up the developement and so we lost out. The RAF I also believe declined to go down this track, which shows a complete lack of understanding by both air forces "high ups", of how dangerous AD operations can be.

Whilst the Brook and Perkins system has a weight penality when it is not being used, most of the offending pieces can be quickly removed, when tasked with non AD requirements, such as para trooping or carrying pneumatic wheeled vehicles.

So because of short sightedness decisions, the aircraft has become somewhat restricted in quick role change.

The decisions should be made by the people who fully understand what AD is all about, and the real dangers involved in extracting loads from an airplane.

The clerks and boffins who drive desks, should invited to butt out.

I can just see the cast of hundreds under the existing system, that will want to put their thumbprint on the procurement.

Ah but just like the tank foam and ESP, they will quitely slink off, when it all goes bad.

Regards

Col Tigwell