PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 17:29
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were an experienced instrument rated pilot, none of this would have worried you as procedure (until September 2006, that is ). It is routine procedure, practiced tens of thousands of times a day by thousands of pilots and controllers.

PBL
Like many on Pprune I've been following this thread with interest.. mid-airs have to be amongst the most feared of accidents... but not having any involvment I've had no reason to 'contribute'... however that statement by PBL does leave me feeling a bit uncomfortable...

Yes I am an experienced instrument rated pilot... and on a truly world-wide basis.. but when cleared to a non-standard FL, although not 'worried'.. I am conscious of being non-std and always include the 'non-std' phrase when reading back the clearance.. and again include it on hand-over or in the event of joining another A/W at an intersection... required ?? No... maybe not... but unless you believe controllers are incapable of making errors it would seem good sense.. I would do this when working the London TMA ... arguably the best controllers on the planet... I would most certainly do it anywhere where either the language or comms are less than perfect... No reflection on any of the crews involved in this accident...we still don't know the full story...just a comment on PBLs post.