PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA engines On Condition
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 15:46
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nomorecatering.

For aircraft not used regularly, (say once a week) they are a great idea, the reason is self-evident ---- starting dry --- how long does it take to get oil all around the engine, not just registering on the pressure gauges. Likewise I also use an oil heater, get it nice and warm before I use the pre-oiler. If you have a low usage engine, always us a multi-grade oil with corrosion inhibitor.

I have seen several "high-cam engine" cams recently, that has less than half the lift remaining, so worn they could not be re-profiled, had to be replaced. One was about 550 hours over about 12 years, with long periods of complete inactivity.

If an engine is going to be inactive (read the manufacturers instructions) use inhibiting oil and silica gel plugs. Unfortunately in my opinion, the "approved" aircraft oils are not nearly as good as some of the modern auto oils.

In some "warbirds" (Experimental) engines in US, auto multi-grades are being used with great success, reduced consumption, reduced "bits"(carbon) in the filters, and nil internal corrosion via the boreoscope.

Tootle pip!!

Tootle pip!!