PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atsocas
Thread: Atsocas
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 09:42
CAP493

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be your primary task if the regulations say it is.
I'm afraid that in the real world i.e. in 'civvy street' where virtually all UK ATC provision these days is by commercial ATC companies, the so-called "regulators" cannot simply impose a requirement of this nature on those companies.

There are two reasons.

1. If the perceived risk is too great (as determined by the Company's own safety assessment [and remember that the erstwhile CAA doesn't undertake risk assessments - this is down to the 'provider'] and the potential impact on the Company of a major incident is considered to be unacceptable) because of the 'Duty of Care' issue that hangs over ATSOCAS like the Sword of Damocles, particularly because of the litigious world in which we now have to operate.
2. If the required resources are simply not available (i.e. equipment/staffing). Simply saying that such companies "...will need to have the resources" is so unrealistic as to be off the wall. In civvy street, such resources cost money that has to be either earned or borrowed; money won't be spent unless the return on the investment meets the profit margin and payback term that the Company's business model requires.

Rest assured, if the CAA does attempt to legislate and thereby mandate, there will be some commercial ATC companies (and remember, many UK airports are now 'in-house commercial ATC companies') that will undoubtedly challenge the CAA.

Unfortunately, there seems to be something of a lack of realism in some quarters within CAA House...