PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne medics save lives
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 09:34
MINself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab, this does sound a huge amount of money for having a team of full time doctors on the air ambulance for the few of the units that have chosen to provide this option. These particular units might have a more comfortable financial situation than those that haven't chosen to employ a team of full time doctors but for the vast majority of air ambulances £300k would be an unacceptable expenditure, year on year. Some air ambulances rely on a pool of doctors who work free of charge and in their spare time in addition to the pramedics, admitedly providing doctors on air ambulances in this adhoc way possibly isn't the most efficient way of putting doctors on air ambulances but for the majority of air ambulance charities it is the only way. With regards to the argument of swoop and scoop Vs extended doctors intervention on scene, IMHO having seen both, both have their merits depending on the situation but if I was the patient I would want to be treated by the most medically qualified person at the scene.

As to charging - as far as I am aware the policy is that we do not ever charge.
I am glad to hear it, it sounds like there is a lack of knowledge in some of the air and land ambulance control rooms on the subject of SAR, its use and importantly that it costs the ambulance service nothing.