PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 07:42
MUNT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aircraft,

If the contract is for traditional FIFO, they could get a different operator, more cheaply, but for the same level of safety.
The majority of mining companies conduct extensive audits of operators. These audits address everything from the asthetics of the aircraft to the operating culture among the crew. I can think of one lucrative northern Australian contract in particular; The contract was awarded to a company with older aircraft (and less comfortable). Said operator however, had a wealth of experience in its ranks and a sound operational safety culture, which is usually bred out of a motivated, satisfied workforce. All offers on the table were similarly quoted, so its safe to assume the decision wasn't price driven.

What am I getting at?
"for the same level of safety" bollocks. Operational safety, and since we are talking about pilots here I am referring to everything from training to CRM, is directly affected by engagement, experience and training. Both of these are negatively impacted when conditions are below industry climate average (as the case has been with Skippers recently). Simply put, the experience in a company that cuts corners, is drained, training is abreviated and a cowboy operating culture can squeeze its way in.

To assume the mining companies don't give a damn is foolish. One audit, once incident is all it takes.