PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing technique B737NG
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 18:17
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your technique does not work!! I told myself how perfect my landing was going to be today, I visualised a nice stable approach, flaring, kicking off the drift and gently easing the into wind wheel onto the runway, quickly followed by the other main gear, and gentle flying the nose wheel onto the runway, all on the centre line and in the touchdown zone of course. Nowhere in my visualisation was the FIRM untidy landing that I managed to achieved!!
Sky Wave - you have all my sympathies!

Firstly, it's not "my" technique! There are plenty of good books on the market about how to programme yourself for success (at anything) - try Tony Buzan's book called Head Strong for starters. If, as you say, you "...told yourself how perfect the landing was going to be today..." then this will always be in the future and never "now". How long and how often have you been practising the visualisation? Try the visualisation as though you are observing yourself from, say, the jump seat or even outside the a/c.

Many will think this is new age mumbo jumbo but I can tell you it works if you work it!. Jack Nicklaus the champion golfer said he always pictured how he wanted a shot to proceed in his mind before he actually took the shot.

Happy Landings