PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 14:17
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not see any reason why you shouldn't go for the IR now except money.
I think you may have missed the past discussions.

I suspect for many the money is actually a long way down the list.

At the top of the list would be the huge amount of pointless theory and the essentially class room based strategy to the theory element. Most PPLs (who are really PPLs and not commercial aspirants) neither have the time nor inclination.

i guess you will be happy when your in the coulds sweating your pants off in unexpected bad weather and surviving it due to your intense training.
I am not sure if the inference you intend is the pilot with the IMCR will be the one sweating. I dont think there is any evidence at all for this assertion, if that is what you intend. the safety record of those with IMCRs is very good in the UK amoung a group of pilots who I suspect use their priviliges to varying degrees.

Perhaps to go out on a limb flying light aircraft on instruments is a very practical art. All the theory in the world will only help so far. The IMCR holder is only less well equipted because he has less hours in IMC and the standards required of his flying are to a lower tolerance. The fact that he has to understand this is the case is no different than the PPL who has just qualifed and would be at risk if he flew in conditions with which he could only cope when he had a few hundred hours more to his credit.

I have said it before, but I will say it again, if the IMCR is abolished on the back of an IR light that is little removed in achievability from the existing IR avaition safety in this country will have suffered its greatest below yet. The authorities will be culpable, we should all write to our MPs and hopefully AOPA will finally wake up and actually do something about it.