PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 13:46
TripleBravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a possible credible scenario with one TL at reverse, the other at cl, brake pedals pressed, where one does not want to stop?
Yes, there is.

1) If you can have a TL inadvertently in CLB position at touchdown, you can also have a TL inadvertently in REV during other flight phases, where this is not desired (e. g. climb or go around).

2) Usage of rudders can imply inadvertant activation of brake sensors by deflection of the pedals with the toes.

=> This can lead to the scenario that there was something wrong with your TL (being in REV while still on your approach path), you want to abort and sort this out while airborne, because of asymmetric thrust you have to use rudder - and you're almost automatically falling from the sky, because the spoilers are deploying, because your toes applied a bit too much of a pressure.

When somebody argues this scenario to be not likely - so was leaving the TL at CLB position during landing roll!

Again though, the more complex you make the logic tree, the higher chance you have of an error manifesting.
Absolutely. What's more, it makes it even harder for the crew to understand in complex situations and therefore reducing the chance of successful troubleshooting in time.

This is another indication that the TAM's captain mindset was somewhat in "another aircraft".
These were my thoughts also some weeks ago. It gave me a new thinking about transitions from other aircraft families.

Once again, as we saw in this thread, the non-deployed ground spoilers did not have such a big effect on the landing roll distance that it would have turned things much. Therefore I am not sure if it helps a lot when we consider the spoiler's logic to be changed. I would rather concentrate on what might have caused the crew to leave the thrust lever where it was. Wordings in paperwork like MEL and training awareness seems to be a good starting point as well as tactible feedback to the crew like moving levers (thrust or spoilers). For sure the most effective spoilers cannot override an engine running at some 75% thrust (which was more than the approach thrust, by the way).