PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 12:51
MikeJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the thread on pilot drop out, IO540 put links to CAA pilot licence and rating statistics. I was staggered to find that until the JAR PPL training requirements came in in 2000, that new IMC rating issues were running steadily at 1000 per year, about 1/3rd of new PPL issues. This compares with an average of just about 40 pa for PPL/IR. As IO said, everything has gone downhill since then.

Doing a bit more reasearch, I have been told that the CAA have issued about 17,000 IMC ratings. There will always be a significant drop out rate in licences and ratings, but I would expect those going the extra mile for the IMCR will be better 'stayers' than basic PPL holders. This could mean that of the 20,000 PPL(A) with current medical, perhaps 50% hold the IMCR, which is a simar figure to the proportion of US PPLs with IR. Certainly every one of my PPL acquaintences at my home base has an IMCR or IR

All of this shows the IMCR to have been an absolute stunning success.
Other threads have commented that 'see and be seen' just does not work well enough. Since 1990 there has been an average of one mid air every two years involving a Group A aircraft, but all are in VMC. Over the last 30 years (I didn't go back further) there has NEVER been a mid air in IMC in uncontrolled airspace involving a light aircraft .
Statistics show that there are 10 times as many airproxs between 0 and 3000ft, as compared with a similar height band 4000 to 7000 ft, where the quadrantals and LARS reign. But even in clear weather, you should have an IMCR or IR to go up there because of the unpredictable British weather at your destination.
The sheer delight of flying on top in silky smooth 'see forever' conditions, compared with grotty bumpy scud running below, just adds to the benefit of it being much, much safer. Despite the very large numbers of holders, there is no record in all the years I have been reading the CAA qrtly Occurrance Reports of anything unsatisfactory in the IMCR. Just as there is no poor record of FAA PPL/IR flying N reg. We just a lot of what IO540 calls 'slagging off' with absolutely no history to justify it.

The actual stunning success of the IMCR should be blasted about as loudly as possible to counter the 'slaggers'.

Reading a report on the PPL/IR Europe website, the work that Bose X and others have been doing so assidously doesn't seem as if it will produce that much improvement to the PPL/IR syllabus, unless Bose knows more. Nowhere near the FAA one. I even heard the other day from someone 'high up' that there is pressure within EASA to abandon the PPL/IR altogether, and make everyone get a CPL/IR to fly in airways.