PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAX trying to use his mobile phone - was I right or wrong?
Old 31st Aug 2007, 11:37
flyinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read 'some' of this thread (couldn't bring myself to trawl through 6 pages!)

It is interesting to note that there are some 'informed' people out there who insist PED do not interfere with systems based on their scientific knowledge. They WILL NOT accept any other facts.

FACT; certain PED (especially mobiles) CAN and DO sometimes interfere. Not all the time, but on occasion. You never know which system maybe affected, but I for one do not want to find out at FL410 at 30W with 2000nm to go. Not a good time. Why isit no-one these days can just do as told?

There are some on this forum belittling the safety instructions given by the crew. I would admit that the chances of surviving a ditching are slim, but believe it or not, the crew do not brief you all for the good of their health. After all, they have a door close by to jump out of first. It is a requirement of the CAA and forms part of an airlines AOC certification. Just because you are a frequent flier does not exempt you from the brief nor does it make you an expert.

If you have a problem listening to repeated safety briefings, there are 2 solutions;
1. Take it up with the CAA - but I know what their answer will be.
2. Find an alternative mode of transport.

Being made to clear loose articles up around you in the cabin is actually a safety fundamental. If I have to stop the a/c using max braking, you would NOT want a loose bottle of water hitting you on the back of the head from 5 rows behind.