PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach ban and circling
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 09:16
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 177 Likes on 36 Posts
NW1;

I appreciate that circling is usually due to xs TWC - my reference to landing off the CAT 1 ILS with 800 RVR was with respect to the initial question i.e. wind 000/00. You are correct in saying that it is a fine point of regulation - but nonetheless it would be nice to have a definate answer from a higher authority.

Think about the situation; 3000m runway the first 1000m in fog RVR 300m, the other 2000m is "CAVOK". Outer Marker at 4d (1300' agl on G/S), overcast 1100'.

From a legal standpoint, what is wrong with flying the ILS to the "foggy end" (even though RVR is below CAT 1 minima), levelling at 800' and circling to the "CAVOK" end? I fully agree that when conditions become more marginal then very serious consideration has to be given about even contemplating an approach.

I'm really interested in the legal (i.e. what would the Authority say about it) - we live in a world dominated by rules, regs, health and safety etc. It's all very well for someone behind a desk weeks after the event to say "yes, but under sub section blah blah........ " I cannot find anywhere where it says the approach BAN applies if you intend to circle. Logically speaking it should not apply because you are NOT going to land in the restricted touchdown zone but manouver safely above it.

Gimmesumvalium;

Bold move by your Co.

A4

Last edited by A4; 31st Aug 2007 at 15:34. Reason: General incompetance with spelling.