PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - O'Connors to shut down?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2007, 01:21
goodonyamate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
O'Connors are not shutting down. As said, how do you possibly service all of the routes when part of the fleet has been 'retired' by Cessna and CASA? Something had to go. With regards to melbourne, Im sure if you look at the increase in Pax for Rex since O'Connors withdrew, its actually only very small. Not that many people travel ML-MTG anymore. Also the ML decision was not based solely on Pax numbers, again, an aircraft had been retired. It would be impossible to provide any kind of continuity of service over so many routes with so few aircraft, at the current schedules. Again, something had to go. I can assure you, returning to a fixed schedule for all routes has made a huge positive difference, and they will be around for a while yet.

With regards to FO pay beer bong, 35K is not correct. Agreed, they dont pay as much as some other airlines, but the experience gained is second to none. Sh*t weather, no A/p, and the worst factor of all, dealing with that other 'traffic' .They know that they are are stepping stone, and have no hesitation in helping one of their own move on to bigger and better things. Leigh and his family want all of their staff to succeed, and will do what they can to help.
It pisses me off to hear and see Rex putting articles like this out, quoting passenger percentages and what not (its not the first one, believe me), getting on their high horse like they are gods gift to 'Australian' regional travel. What bull#$t.

O'Connors will be around for a while yet, and its just as well. Australian aviation would only be poorer if they weren't. Many more guys and gals will get their first break there, they are a training ground for turbine and rpt ops, and a damn good one at that.