PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing technique B737NG
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 22:26
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pilot Pete:
I am well aware of the question asked. And, of course, you are correct about the stabilized approach being critical to the accomplishment of a reasonable flare, descent, and touchdown. Additionally, of course, I recognize that “level flight attitude” varies with a lot of things, including, but not limited to configuration; however, I’m surprised that you believe that “understanding level flight attitude” is confusing when discussing descent and landing. I have had the opportunity to fly quite a range of aircraft in my career – and the one constant through all of it is that airplanes land best from a level flight attitude – from Cessna trainers to military fast jets (fighters) to miltary and civilian transport category including several of the Douglas and most of the Boeing family, including the B747. I’m not saying this to “impress” you with my credentials – somehow I think you would be more or less immune to such an attempt – I merely point that out to confirm my earlier comment about this being applicable to “every airplane.”

I’m afraid you’ve misunderstood my comment about teaching students to fly and the “Pot, kettle, black” comment is, I believe, unnecessary. I haven’t said that flying “my way” is best. What I AM saying is that teaching the pilot to determine his or her own technique for getting the airplane into the proper attitude for landing is likely to be better than having them learn a specific technique – particularly if that technique seems awkward to them. Will the technique you advocate work? Of course it will. But is it the technique that suits every pilot? I doubt it.

I recognize that you think I’ve tried, probably in your view, unsuccessfully, to put you down or criticize your way of describing your technique. That is truly NOT my intent. The individual asked a question. I believe that if I’m going to offer an answer, it should help – not hinder. If you believe that the explanation I offer is too much of a hinder – please feel welcome to disregard it completely. I would only point out that many of the things we do that appear to be “simple,” are far more complex when you try to explain it in detail; for example, try describing to someone, who has no idea of the mechanics involved, how to button a shirt, or tie a “bow tie,” or tie a pair of shoe laces. It seems to me that the business of flying has gotten down to the point of asking for and being provided a whole series of “short cut gouges:” e.g., “What power setting should I use for final approach of an XYZ make, 123 model airplane with landing flaps?” “How much nose up trim should I use to maintain a 30-degree bank turn at 200 knots?” If you need or want to provide those kinds of gouges, be my guest. Personally, if I’m a bit slow on final approach, I say “add some power.” Still a bit slow, I say “add some more.” How much more? I say “enough to go a bit faster.” When someone says what’s the best way to land XYZ make, 123 model airplane, I could give them the “gouges” that a lot of people believe work for them. However, I’d rather have that questioner be able to understand what is happening so that he (or she) has the best opportunity to learn how his (or her) airplane performs and handles.

Perhaps an example? I’m sure you know of Tiger Woods. When he drives a golf ball off a tee, he places the ball, selects a club for distance, addresses the ball, executes a back swing, a down swing, and a follow-through. Simple, right? If Mr. Woods was asked, “how should I drive a golf ball,” I would imagine if he thought it was a serious question, we would likely provide a dissertation on how much research he’s done on shaft length, shaft bending, constant arc swings and their variations, and club head face effect when contacting the ball, including the effect of contacting the ball while the club head is still descending, or has reached bottom-dead-center of the swing, or has started on the up-swing; to mention only a very, very few areas he would touch on. Would that be considered too complicated an answer? Not if the questioner was serious about his question.

Lastly, while I appreciate your frustrations, I would appreciate it if you’d dial back the insults, just a small bit. Thanks.