PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 20:21
Gingerbread Man

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't. You must have started for a reason. Stick to it and you'll be pleased you did I think, regardless of whether you're still flying in 5 years time. I got my PPL in July 2005, did about 4 hrs flying in the 6 months after that, and then nothing until about 4 weeks ago when I did a multi and night rating. I think the reason is that i'm very 'mission' driven, and don't know what to do with just a plane and some free time and some money to burn.

Interesting point:
The next reason is that renting will get you only so far. Most of the stuff available is absolute crap
Is it actually possible to rent or share anything that was made less than 25 years ago?? All the training aircraft i've seen everywhere have been late 70's, or early 80's and look like they've been made from bits of caravan. I rarely see anything any younger in group ads. Even highly-regarded FTOs use re-painted knackered old warriors. I know it doesn't really make any difference to the flying, but I hesitate to take passengers in such ropey-looking vehicles.

Ginger