PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing technique B737NG
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 19:07
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I thought landing was simple!

I think we have definitive proof here that most pilots are predominantly "left-brain" thinkers! It makes us more comfortable to think that landing an aeroplane safely is "logical".

Years ago there was an interesting article in the Log highlighting the experience that when the landing conditions are ideal we sometimes tend to plant the a/c on the runway but when it's right on crosswind limits, blowing a gale and/or raining we end up greasing it on without intending to do so!

The explanation is that when we have lots of spare capacity we are using the logical left brain (flying more "mechanically") but when we are working hard we are using more of the creative right brain. Whether you think the pyschologists are correct is another matter of course.

However returning to the question posed at the beginning of the thread as to how to land I would remind everyone that the brain cannot differentiate between a real experience and one thats vividly imagined. Put quite simply if you practice imagining yourself doing a "good" landing then you are more likely to do so in practice because you are "hard-wiring" the neurons! Another avenue is to use affirmations - something like "I am in the process of improving my landing technique everyday" might suit the bill. Just recite this phrase ten times after you wake up, during the day at least once and then last thing before sleep. By doing so you are programming the sub conscious which will work on bringing the affirmation into your reality. Dont even think about how it will do this - thats the whole point you dont need to. The affirmation needs to be done for at least 21 days for full effect.

Much of our self programming is very "negative" because thats the way we have often been previously programmed (usually as a child by people like parents and teachers). Statements like "I am still having problems landing" are really going to set you up for "failure" so avoid making them and replace them with something better, eg. "I am in the process of learning how to land accurately and safely".

Hope this helps!