PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 19:07
DBisDogOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future of IMC rating?

I've read and heard various things about the future of the UK IMC rating in the last year or so. I've seen this on various threads but didn't want to hijack them so I'm posting this. My question is 'Is it worth doing an IMC or is it going to be ditched sooner or later?'

By 'ditched' I mean replaced with an IR rating of some description. I know a few of you (notably bose-x) are involved with AOPA(?) steering this in the right direction so I'd like some clarification as to what the situation would be for the holders of an IMC in the new system, ie:Grandfather rights (no new IMCs issued but keep what you've got) or a shed load of expensive training required for all IMCR holders.

The reason I ask is that I'm considering doing one (I already have a night rating) but, while no training is ever pointless, I don't want to spend a couple of grand on a rating that's going to be invalid or invalid without more money spent, in a year or two. I don't bother flying when the wx is possibly going to turn crap, I don't push my luck, so don't want to go the whole hog on an IR but appeciate that for safety, an IMC would be nice.

Any comments from the great and the good (in fact, anyone!) with more definative info than the magazines (contradictory) can give would be welcome.

Blue skies to all
Be seeing you...
dB