PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A400M will not make 2009
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 17:11
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dissapointed here.

When I read of comparisons between the A400 and the Belfast, I was anticipating a lot of banter, I feel sadly let down. There have been no guide lines to ignore Wikipedia, or tales of how the Belfast could often have a speed of under 100knots, while flying in windy conditions.
I will admit that when seeing Belfast's fly overhead on my way home from primary school, I used to think they were stunning (certainly more exciting than Argosy's and Brittania's). But not really a serious rival in speed to either C130 or A400.
So (and sorry for further thread creep), as the Belfast is now very old, and the RAF has sold them on (and re chartered them recently), why don't we buy them back, and upgrade them in true British make do and mend tradition. how about composite wings, and modern turbo props, or more realistically, the same wings, and engines, but a nice new paint job (done privately), with a shiny Royal Air Force logo near the passenger doors. surely the snazzy new logo will add 200kts all by itself.
Sorry for my above nonsense, but most of the replies seem to be too serious in regards to true PPRuNe tradition.
OK. getting coat, and off to take medication here.