PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 checklist policy - Confusing or is it just progress?
Old 30th Aug 2007, 13:30
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Pax evacuation isn't a recall item anymore and if there is no fire then there is no need to discharge the extinguisher bottles.
Just imagine. Smoke and screaming going on down the back and the steely-eyed captain decides maybe it's time to to initiate an emergency evacuation. Calmly he asks his Number One to grab the QRH and read aloud the Evacuation Checklist. The smoke has filtered by now into the flight deck and The F/O starts coughing as his lungs are affected by the acrid smoke and his eyes start to close involuntarily caused by the smoke stinging his eyes. Believe me, this is a well known effect of smoke in the cockpit.
Still, the redoubtable captain waits patiently foir the unfortunate first officer to regain his composure and again requests him politely to please go ahead with the Evacuation checklist. Meanwhile the engines are still running and the pilot call chimes are ringing insistently.
Sorry about this Skipper chokes the F/O but I can't seem to find the godammed QRH so can we just get the hell outta here.
Steady my good man - says the captain as the soot gathers on his bushy eyebrows and he is forced to flick the black crap of his white uniform shirt and gold bars. The SOP states quite clearly the Evacuation is not a Recall Item anymore and now you are telling me you can't find the bloody QRH.
The smoke and flames have by now penetrated the cabin and the screams grow louder as the F/O finds the QRH and runs his blackened finger down the line starting with ""Condition" - Evacuation is Needed....
Makes you wonder if the recent very prompt passenger evacuation of the burning 737 at Naha was ordered by the crew carefully reading from the QRH - or whether the crew ripped into the old Recall items and baled out FAST...