PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach ban and circling
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 13:16
NW1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, had reason to research this recently and confirmed the following IAW my own Co.'s ops manual (JAR compliant, they tell me):

1) You fly the primary IAP to not lower than Circ. Min. Alt. for the RW of intended landing (no point going lower because you wouldn't be permitted to commence the circle).

2) You break for the circle with relevant Vis Ref (you don't need the RW in sight yet - that's for the final descent below Circ. Min. Alt.), but no later than the IAP Missed Approach Point (obviously) [the MAP for an ILS is the point where the Glideslope intersects the ILS DA]

3) Circ. Min. Visibility is quoted for planning purposes and doesn't play a role in consideration of an approach ban: you may proceed with the circle as long as you have Vis Ref and 800m RVR or more (if reported) [Again, no point flying the IAP with less than 800m RVR because you may not fly a circling approach in these conditions, but you may still fly to the approach ban point (1000') hoping the reported weather would comply by then, but you would have to go around from that point if it didn't]

4) To answer a point made above - generally if minima drop below the IAP minima we may still continue to the approach ban point (1000'ARTE) - an immediate GA is not required, but you need mins. at the ban point. And you may fly the approach to the approach ban point if RVRs<mins.: that is the point - RVRs might be varying above and below minimum, but you make your decision based on the last received on reaching the ban point.

That's what the ops manual I fly to has to say, anyhow - as with any PT operation, the details may vary from operator to operator, so it all has to be taken with a health warning......

Last edited by NW1; 30th Aug 2007 at 13:21. Reason: Edited to highlight Circ. App. RVR minimum