PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 12:59
MikeeB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took up flying so that I could do aero's. Then during my training, I got a great sense of achievement from the x-country/land away side of things.

Once I obtained my PPL I pretty much found myself in a void, as, from the clubs point of view, they had no interest in me anymore. Not once did an instructor pro-actively inquire as to if I might want to spend more money on learning better navigation skills, all of which would have built up my confidence to fly further afield, alone.

I then went on from ~45hours to 90hours in about 18 months by renting club aircraft, mainly learning aero's. Enjoyed the odd x-country flight, but never ventured far without somebody in the RHS to help out.

Then the time and money syndrome kicked in, and with not being able to spend enough time and money on learning aero's so that I could compete, my interest dropped off. Spending near on 2 hours traveling to the airfield and back didn't help either.

I'm now in the position where I realise that if I want to keep flying, I need to buy in to a group. I also need the group to be based nearby to cut down on the travel time. If this doesn't happen in the next 24 months (I've just renewed via a skills test) then chances are I'll let my license lapse.

As has been mentioned, and I've said it to other people who have mentioned 'learning to fly' - you need a reason to do so, otherwise once you pass the test, you'll probably pack up after flying over your house a few times.

The actual part of learning to fly maybe enough for some people, which is why I keep looking at doing my PPL(H) now

Likewise, I've just had a Porsche Cayman on test drive for 24hours, and that made driving fun again !!!