PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Inland Revenue & Working Abroad
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 11:21
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is indeed ther place to be discussing this. There have been several threads on Tax here recently so do a search and read them all.
Anyone who thinks that burying their head in the sand and hoping to avoid paying their taxes is living in a dream world. You will be found and pay accordingly, eventually. If you get away with it over a long period then good luck to you. But if you are caught, which is very likely, you will be severely penalised for avoiding for so long.
Writing here as someone who has been in the situation described, I would urge you to contact the Inland Revenue website or HMRC as they are now (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/) and get all the information you can glean from there. There is a lot of good advice and it is free. In my experience, if you are going to be working abraod then talking directly to a Tax Inspector in the office where your affairs are handled is the first thing you need to do, not the last.
If you avoid paying taxes under these circumstances and have to pay later, you will be given very little latitiude in the amount you have to pay. Arranging your tax liabilities, with the help of the Inspector, means you can arrange pay as you earn and will almost certainly never be asked to pay any more. Indeed, depending on your circumstances, you will almost certainly be able to claim some of the tax back at the end of each year.
Those who advocate silence on this issue are the ignorant ones. Knowledge is power and knowing your tax inspector might well be one of the best relationships you ever make. They are not employed to screw you, believe it or not, they are employed to help you get you tax affairs in order.
Trust me, I have been there!