PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - landing technique B737NG
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 02:40
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Pilot Pete,

With comments like...
Originally Posted by Pilot Pete
Ignore AirRabbit's advice, it is NOT 737 technique as has been pointed out by others. The FCTM is the definitive guide and input from your Training Captains. AirRabbit's overly complicated waffle will lead you into flight regimes close to the ground that could result in tailstrike, and you don't want to be there.
...it is apparent, to me at least, that you believe you have the definitive knowledge in this area. Perhaps you do. Perhaps if everyone were to fly airplanes the way you fly airplanes we’d never have another pilot error problem. However, I suspect that even you would say that was going overboard.

A couple of comments, s'il vous plait: First; while you apparently are of the opinion that what I’ve proposed is most assuredly NOT B737 technique, I believe that if you performed an exhaustive search of such proposals you might be surprised at the results. Second; I have not ever advocated, and still do not advocate, ignoring the FCTM or any instructor’s teaching. Third; if what I have proposed sounds to be a “complicated waffle,” I’m puzzled at how you would fly a non-precision instrument approach. Fourth; I’d like to know why it is you believe that flaring to a level flight attitude, doing so to reach that flared attitude between 5 and 15 above the runway, retarding the throttle to idle during or after the flare (to have the throttles at flight idle at or just after touchdown), maintaining the achieved attitude (please note – I did not say maintain altitude – I said maintain attitude), taking less than 3 seconds to flare, and suggesting that the wheels be on the runway absolutely not more than 3 seconds after flaring … taken together would put a pilot in a position of a possible tailstrike. As I mentioned to Mr. Ashling, above, the B737-800 tail strike attitude is about 11 degrees with the gear struts fully extended. Level flight attitude, with landing flaps and a speed between 1.1 and 1.2 of stall speed, should be in the neighborhood of 3 - 6 degrees of pitch; a considerable angular distance below “tail strike territory.

I would also point out that there is a difference between teaching pilots to fly the way you fly and teaching pilots to fly the way they fly best.