PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 16:32
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
of loss of braking

bsieker,
I had asked experienced A320 flight crews for what situations exactly said memory item was trained:
Only failure of autobrake after it had initially been active?
And/or failure of manual brake if no autobrake was selected?
Also in a case like this where autobrake fails to engage because of failure of GS deployment?
For the third case the memory item would to be more aptly called "NO BRAKING"
In the FCOM and QRH manual I'm using :
LOSS OF BRAKING
> if AUTOBRAKE selected :
PF BRAKE PEDALS............... DEPRESS
> if brakes inoperative :
PF REVERSERS....................MAX
PF BRAKE PEDALS................RELEASED
PNF A/SKID & N/W STEERING...OFF
PF BRAKE PEDALS................DEPRESS
PF BRAKE PRESSURE.............UNDER 1000 PSI
............................................................ .............................................
The first item comes on the realisation that autobrake is not operating, which emphasizes the importance of the *DECEL* or *NO DECELERATION !* call out. And by extension it takes care of the third item (CGH) where the autobrake was not functioning as selected.
Semantics can be precious sometimes : *NO BRAKING* should be used in cases where the system fails to operate as expected, whereas *LOSS OF ...* implies that a system is functioning before it then fails.
[I was there...] the scenario above (no decel then no brakes) makes a very interesting sim session on a cat IIIB autoland with 75m RVR...a very good way to determine if a crew functions optimally.
TyroPicard,
But they would still operate taxying out..... and would be extended if you held on the runway with the brakes on .. this might lead to taxying out with them "not armed" .. could they be forgotten thus adding to the risk?
I agree with your train of thoughts but normally the G/S should extend on a rejected takeoff regardless of the G/S lever position.