PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 29th Aug 2007, 15:26
Ozzymick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, don't want to ruin NZ for you. I did my training there and spoke with many pilots. There is as many Heli Pilots over there as there is Bus Drivers in the UK.

I loved NZ, but due to the Deer Hunting craze, loads of people became rich and ended up flying helicopters. The instructors were getting paid for the Hours they flew and a very, very basic retainer if they were lucky.

The instructors used to actively go out to find people to take out flying for joy flights etc, so did a lot of selling.

My plan was to do my training in NZ, then go to Oz for flying work as there is work there.

The other thing to take into consideration is that the Schools tend mostly to use pupils they have trained as Instructors. If they need any that is. Helipro had to guys qualify whilst I was there, one returned to Auckland but wasn't working, the other guy was working as the receptionist and chief helicopter cleaner, and the only flying work he got was when he got his dad in for a try flight.

NZ is fantastic for flying and I loved every minute of it. So good luck with what ever you choose.

Regards

Mick