PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheddington / Halton
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 13:37
A V 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you'd find it very difficult to get into Halton as it's not blessed with the same welcoming folks you'd get at other Mil A/Ds.

I haven't flown at Halton for a year, so this info may be slightly out of date, but this was the state of play when I was there last:

To cut a long story short, since the RAFGSA moved to Halton from Bicester, very strict conditions have been imposed. The RAF GSA can do unlimited aerotows if it's an Aventure training Flight, if not, limited to 2 aerotows per day - Figure that one out! The locals regularly complain about noise, even with noise abaitment procedures in place. To make matters worse, some of the locals who complain are ex RAF and the guy in charge of operations tends to side with them - he'd by the guy who ultimately gives you PPR. Caution: Hitler youth (Air Cadets) run the airfield and A/G freq, but mainly weekends.

I'm not sure of the restrictions, if any, that have been placed on the flying club or micro light club.

Also, what would you be flying? Only grass strips at Halton and the flying club's C152 and PA28 eat up all of the runway.

Like I said, this was the state of play last time I was there. Check with Halton Flying Club for more accurate info - number should be in the Pooley's.

I'd like to hear from Halton Ppruners if things have become a bit less anal now.

Hope that helps,

A V 8