PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 13:25
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
This is aside from the fact that there are no doubt many occasions where you don't want spoilers to deploy
I fully agree.

That is why I have a strong resistance to quick changes to these things. But the GS logic has already been changed once, and here may (or may not) be another case for a change.

I am also very aware that ground spoiler deployment in any case other than performing a full-stop landing or rejected take-off is a Bad Thing.

I'm not saying "this should be done", but it is worth considering.

Limiting ground spoilers to cases (in addition to the existing ones) where brakes are pressed (possibly only above a threshold not commonly achieved during rudder action) and at least one thrust lever is in reverse seems to be a good safeguard. Additionally, not deploying GS if at least one thrust lever is at TOGA seems worth considering, since TOGA would never be applied during a full-stop landing (except on a carrier landing, but that is a completely different domain). It is doubtful anyway, that anything, even ground spoilers, could save you if one engine was at full reverse, and the other at TOGA.

It may be that I have forgotten a case or that I am wrong on this, and this is what peer-review is for, and why I am posting this publicly.

TyroPicard (an experienced pilot on type) already said it is unthinkable that one would select reverse and press the brakes but did not want to stop. I take this as an indication that I am not too far off the mark.

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 29th Aug 2007 at 19:29. Reason: Getting my terminology straight. Thanks PBL.