PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Pilots 3 weeks away from union recognition
Old 29th Aug 2007, 11:16
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union recognition and strike action are two completely separate items. Lumping the two together gets the pilot body nowhere fast.
First things first, however, the first step will be the most difficult, if not impossible.

Union recognition:

The 'rules' are that to go along the Statutory route establishing Union recognition in Ryanair, BALPA must secure a majority vote in favour. No problem there you might think. However, the total voting must be at least 40% of the pilot workforce. Now I don't know the distribution of the BALPA members in Ryanair but I would be most surprised if BALPA can get even close to that 40% requirement. We might have 60% BALPA membership in UK but that is not the point. The total is the critical figure.

Our non-European cousins in Ryanair are unlikely to be even in the loop about the problems Ryanair pilots have been facing for so long. They are almost certainly not BALPA members.

Individuals can jump up and down as much as they like, but to blame BALPA misses the point. They are powerless because the legislation in the UK does not allow a workforce to vote for collective bargaining unless they are members of a recognised Trade Union.

It is a chicken and egg situation.

There is no reasonble way to resolve this and MOL knows it.

BALPA will simply never get a foot in the door in Dublin, no matter what happens in BALPA or among the pilots. We are being fooled and misled, much like the infantry in the trenches in WW 1.

Doom and gloom I'm afraid!