PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should seniority be scrapped in airlines?
Old 29th Aug 2007, 00:51
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Compared to this, we as airline pilots are first of everything else not there to make a profit

Don't tell that to the guys in the US/Singapore who earn more on larger fleets - at least those I know such as BA allow the older pilot to choose a European rather than a longhaul lifestyle...
I believe he means to make a profit for the company, not a personal profit.

No, not at all - let me put it more simply - have you ever met anyone from HR in BA? The point is that they have no contact with you, which is not healthy.
Why is it unhealthy? HR cannot assess my pre-flight brief. Perhaps they might be able to assess some small talk with the cabin crew or dispatcher but not the operational side of things. They cannot assess anything that takes place in the cockpit as they do not have the ability to relate the spoken words to the phase of flight or company SOPs. They might be able to assess my PA to the passengers. What exactly would be the purpose of my contact with HR, other than to help HR build an empire?

However, that does not influence the point that company seniority systems are far worse (for your financial position as a pilot, and for your career) than a wider seniority system based upon experience alone.
I beg to differ. I know I'll progress in BA and I won't be overtaken by somebodys mate from the Air Force slotting in ahead of me because HR thought it was a good idea. I am also protected from said candidate agreeing to work for less money than me, hence starting an unstoppable dive for the bottom. There are people out there who will fly for free and my company would probably hire them if they could. Once again, you are starting from the stand position that seniority is bad for us without actually producing a case beyond "HR will sort it all out". In other words, you simply think you know better than all the pilots on here.

Quote:
You are essentially arguing for the ability to fast track promotion for experienced candidates.

Absolutely; subject to knowledge of operating procedures/areas of operation. And objective assessement.
Once again, I challenge you to tell us how the candidates will be objectively assessed. Don't bat it back to us and say "you're the experts", we've already told you all the reasons why we think it's unworkable.